Off Topic Thursday –> On Topic Friday
Opening Night means we flipped our regular Thursday series (Off Topic Thursday) with our Friday one (The Roe Report). In this edition of Weekly OTT, we will stay on topic providing nine observations from Thursday nights’s 3-0 win over the Arizona Coyotes.
1) I think we witnessed Ben Bishop’s best game in victory green last night. He was fantastic all night earning his shutout and the No. 1 star of the game.
2) Why don’t other sports have stars of the game? Wouldn’t it be fun to see Elvis Andrus come running out of the dugout or Dak Prescott run back on the field after being announced as one of the stars of said game.
3) Miro Heiskanen is a miracle. If you missed the game, find a way to watch his first shift as a Dallas Star. He’s so noticable and graceful and poised on both ends of the ice. This kid is a franchise player, I really believe that.
4) Julius Honka was a healthy scratch as the coach who loves mobile defenseman scratched one in favor of old/slow/medicore Roman Polak. Something is off about Honka. This is three coaches now that do not trust him for some reason.
5) From feels off story to feel good story: defenseman Connor Carrick played his first game as a Dallas Star and it went very well. The 24-year-old had two assists in 16 minutes of ice time last night.
6) Did anyone else keep thinking Jordie Benn was back on the Stars when Roope Hintz skated around in the old No. 24 sweater? It took me until the second period before I got used to it.
7) The new television broadcast team is outstanding. Josh Bogorad did a great job in his first game as the play-by-play man.
8) John Klingberg posted a Sergei Zubov-like line in the opener. One goal, three shots on goal, three giveaways in over 27 minutes of ice time.
9) The top line remains great. Benn had two points, Radulov scored a goal, and Seguin played strong two-way hockey winning faceoffs, killing penalties, and finishing checks.
Brian Roe is the founder and head writer of The Roe Report. He spent five years working for the Dallas Stars and has been a contributor at Hockey’s Future, The Hockey Writers, NHL Intel, and more. Follow Brian on Twitter @brianproe.